1. Truly want the best for your friend; for him or her always to
succeed. Treat him or her that way. In other words, follow
the Golden Rule with friendships.
2. Be accepting.
3. Be present with friends.
4. Take equal responsibility for maintaining the relationship.
5. Hold the friend in your heart.
6. Be supportive.
7. Be generous.
8. Be trustworthy, by upholding your commitments and expecting
the same from others.
9. Don’t hold a grudge—or hold on to unfinished business.
10. Be clear with your boundaries, and expect the same from
11. Tell the truth, don’t gossip, and don’t play games or be
Now it’s your turn… what would you add to the list?
Dr. Stephen Sideroff is an internationally recognized expert in resilience, optimal performance, addiction, neurofeedback and alternative approaches to stress and mental health. He is Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry & Biobehavioral Sciences at UCLA’s School of Medicine, as well as the Director of the Raoul Wallenberg Institute of Ethics. www.drstephensideroff.com